Primary and Secondary Education
Madison Central School District
The Madison Central School District has a total enrollment of 1,133 students. Madison Elementary has 490 students with a student to teacher ratio of 15:1, Madison Middle School has 278 students with a ratio of 14:1 and Madison High School has 365 students with a ratio of 15:1.
There are many opportunities for students to be involved in extra-curricular activities. Some of the athletics and activities offered at the high school include: football, basketball, track & field, cross country, tennis, gymnastics, volleyball, theatre, choir, and band.
The mission of the district is to educate all students to fully achieve their personal and academic potential as lifelong learners skilled in communication, problem solving, and global responsibility.
In addition to the public school system, Madison has two private schools, Madison Christian School, an Evangelical non-denominational school, educating K-8th grade students. Currently, the pupil to teacher ratio is 6:1.
St. Thomas School, a parochial school, educates pre-school through 5th grade students. Their pupil to teacher ratio is 8:1.
Dakota State University (DSU)
At Dakota State University in Madison, SD, students are part of innovative degree programs that are affordable and career-focused. At DSU, we offer tech-infused degrees for many interests, not just computer science. Our students can find their fit in one of our business, communications, digital media, healthcare, math, science, education or technology programs.
At Dakota State, we have small classes with individual attention and state-of-the-art degrees where students get to work directly with the experts that know the field. DSU students also have the ability to dive into hands-on research projects with fellow students and professors, develop portfolios, student teach or complete an internships. We have students that go on to complete competitive research experiences in the areas of physical science, biology and digital forensics all over the country. Our digital arts students compete in national contests in photography and graphics. These experiences give our students valuable knowledge for any career they decide will be their future.
- Mission: DSU provides learning that integrates technology and innovation to develop graduates ready to contribute to local, national, and global prosperity.
- Recognized by the NSA as a Center of Academic Excellence in Cyber Operations
- Consistent 95% placement rate for graduates with 100% placement in many degree areas
- Total enrollment of 3,145 as of Fall 2015; on-campus enrollment of around 1,300
- Student-to-faculty ratio of 17.4 to 1
- Undergraduate and graduate degrees available on campus, at University Center – Sioux Falls or online
- Member of North Star Athletic Association, a division of the NAIA with twelve sports teams represented; also one of the few SD schools with an eSports team
Lake Area Technical Institute (LATI)
Lake Area Technical Institute, located in Watertown, SD, is a premier technical institute held in high regard throughout the region. The instructional staff and highly skilled areas of study produce graduates who are sought after by business and industry region-wide.
- Ranked one of the top two-year colleges in the nation by the Aspen Institute's Community College Excellence Program.
- Military Friendly School
- Chronicle of Higher Education "Great Colleges To Work For"
- President’s Higher Education Community Service Award
- Top Digital Connected Community College
- ACT Career and College Readiness Exemplar College
At a Glance:
- Total Enrollment: Approximately 2100
- Graduation Rate: Nationally cited by the Chronicle of Higher Education for having the highest graduation rate in the nation.
- Placement: 99% of the students find employment upon graduating or are continuing their education.
- 88% of the graduates choose employment in SD
- Degrees Offered: 28 programs of study.
Southeast Technical Institute (STI)
Sioux Falls, SD
Southeast Tech is the largest public, non-profit technical institute in South Dakota located in Sioux Falls, SD. It exists to educate individuals for employment opportunities, professional growth and life-long learning. Southeast Tech’s programs and services have been linked to workforce demands since its beginning in 1968 and has created more than 18,000 alumni who live, work and enrich our region’s communities. Southeast Tech began with 118 students; today enrollment exceeds 3,000. Southeast Tech is one of South Dakota's most affordable post-secondary institutions and turns out the third largest higher education graduating class in the state. In addition, Southeast Tech serves between 1,500–2,000 non-credit students through Training Solutions Institute.
In 1968, students had five programs to choose from; today Southeast Tech has 53 programs that can be completed in 24 months or less. Southeast Tech offers Associate in Applied Science degrees (AAS) as well as diplomas and certificates.
Southeast Tech is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission and is a member of North Central Association of Colleges and Schools.
Mitchell Technical Institute
* new content to be added*